If you have a child or children visit your home, you might have been considering building a wooden swing set. If you’re on a budget and don’t want to spend too much, there’s a good chance you can save your money if you take some time to do things yourself. For some people, however, it’s going to be easier to just buy a kit where everything – including detailed instructions – is included. Whatever you decide, it can be quite a challenging building project. If you think you’re up to the task, however, the rewards can be great.
To Build or Not to Build
Even if you purchase a kit, there is still most likely going to be some assembly needed. This is fine for most people, but if you’re mechanically challenged, you might want to get some help from somebody who owns a set of tools. Building a wood playset is not for the faint of heart or those easily distracted, but with a few people helping, most jobs can be completed in a single day. You want to make sure you make enough time to get the project done without cutting any corners.
Tips for Building a Wood Play Set
- Get Help – Have a few friends over to help you construct the swing set. The more, the merrier most of the time, but make sure you have something for everyone to do. Also, it’s a good idea to buy food for the hungry helpers.
- Follow Directions – While you might think you have a better idea to get your project done quicker, you’re going to want to make sure you follow the instructions carefully for safety reasons. There are no shortcuts in life, and this applies to outdoor building projects like this.
- Safety First – Along with following the directions, you want to make sure you make safety a priority. You don’t want to cut corners and have an injury on your hands at a later date – especially if a neighbor kid comes over to play on the swing set.
- Scout the Land – You want to make sure you pick a spot for the swing set that is very level and clear of other obstructions. Take your time and don’t rush into this decision because once you start building, it’s easier to just stay put.
- Free Blueprints? – While you may be able to get your hands on free swing set plans, you want to make sure you keep safety in mind. If you can get better plans by spending a few bucks or buying a wooden swing kit, it’s worth the extra money.
Benefits of Wooden Swing Sets
When taken care of correctly, wooden swing sets can last a long time, adding value to your home. In addition, kids love all types of wooden swing sets even more than traditional metal swings that lack character and flavor. In some of the cases, they may even be a little bit safer than metal playsets. There’s also something sort of majestic about looking out at your backyard and seeing a cedar or wooden playset.
Well, if you want to be a hero for your children, building a wooden swing set on a budget may be an option. If you want to save money, you’re going to have to call in favors or otherwise use your own time instead of spending the money. For some, this is part of the fun and satisfaction of building a wood playset outdoors.